Sunday, December 6, 2009

Yonsei University - GSIS

A graduate level course in Korea. Taught in the English language. Sweet Jesus why haven't I heard more about this? Let's remedy that right now. I present Yonsei University's Graduate School of International Studies.

  • Their brochure answers a lot of questions. I recommend starting there
  • They have a quarterly newsletter that shares some insight
  • Here are the application requirements
  • Tuition seems to be just short of 7,000,000 KRW (approximately 6000 USD) a semester
  • Total cost, however, is about 10 000 USD a semester
  • Dorms seem a bit pricey
  • Scholarships seem to be the only way to afford classes
  • Especially seeing how I read this little bit of info: Yonsei University no longer participates in the U.S. FFEL/Stafford/GGL program, so U.S. citizens are no longer eligible for student loans through those programs.
  • But, courses do seem exceptionally interesting.
So what do I think? It looks like a wonderful program that I will never get to attend. Seeing as how my current plans are to leave Korea in a year and a half (summer 2011) to return to Texas to teach, it kind of limits what I can do here. Granted there are plenty of respectable programs in the States, it would be nice to stay here in Korea to study. However, it seems the only way to do that is to first pay off all student loans (minimum five years), come back to Korea on a D-2 student visa and brunt all the cost of the plane ticket, tuition, living expenses by some magical heavenly method. Not happening.

1 comments:

David said...

That looks interesting. My girlfriend got your degree in music from Yonsei.
but! to expensive for sure.
http://www.learnthekoreanlanguage.net

Post a Comment

 
;